Calci-Yum! COCONUT FLOUR PIZZA


I LOVE PIZZA!  It may be my favourite food in the whole world.  If you've been doing the Keto diet a while, you probably have your favourite pizza recipe.  This one is mine!  It is a variation on this recipe from Frugal Farm Wife.  I love the texture of this crustit's not too thick, and though it's not super crunchy, it is firm enough to hold its shape for hand-held eating (if you like that sort of thing).  Here's what you'll need:


Here's how it works.  This is a skillet crust recipe that's prepared in a non-stick skillet before topping and going in the oven to bake.  I preheat my oven to 400 F/200 C and put my skillet over medium heat.  In a medium-sized bowl, I whisk together 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (the kind that looks like powder), 1/2 teaspoon Psyllium Fibre Powder (I am using Bob's Red Mill brand), and 1/2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning.  Make sure all the lumps are mashed and that all the dry ingredients are well combined.  Next, mix in 3/4 cup of liquid egg whites (or 4 large eggs) and 4 tablespoons of water at room temperature.  Combine well.  (For me, the consistency of mix at this stage reminds me of prepared box mashed potatoes.)

The next step is to thoroughly coat your non-stick skillet with at least one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and remove from heat.  It is just easier to spread the mixture if you take the pan off the hot eye and sit it on an eye that's off.  That way your mix doesn't start cooking too much while you are forming your crust.  Pour half of the mixture into the pan and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.  Allow this to cook about 4-5 minutes.  It's very important not to try to turn it too soon or it will stick to the pan.  Check with your spatula that the crust (which at the moment should look like a large pancake) is turning a golden brown on the underside.  Now it is ready to flip!


Once the other side is golden brown as well, you can now remove your pizza crust to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Repeat the process with the second half of your mixture.  If you are used to baking or cooking with coconut flour, you know that this flour absorbs the liquid and gets thicker as it sits, so your second batch may not spread as easily as the first, but your second crust will turn out just like the first.  I recommend not adding more liquid.  Doing so can make the crust too thin and cause it to break easily.  While your second crust is cooking, you can get your toppings together!  I use Konex Foods Pinjur Spread (it is only 1 net carb per serving), low-moisture part-skim Mozzarella, and crushed red pepper flakes, but you can use whatever sauce and toppings you want!


I always make two crusts at once to save time, but if I'm only eating one pizza, I will store the second, un-topped crust in a sealed storage bag in the refrigerator for a few days.  When I'm ready for another pizza, I will pull it out, top it, and bake.  I spread about 2 tablespoons of Pinjur on each crust and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella.  My topping of choice is a generous amount of red pepper flakes.


Then into the oven for about ten minutes.  Check after seven minutes.  When the cheese is melted and bubbly, your pizzas are done!  Slice up, eat, and enjoy!



 


360 Calories, 23g Fat, 14g Total Carbs (6.5g Net Carbs), 
23g Protein, 7.5g Dietary Fiber, 0g Sugar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snack Attack Pt. 2 - KETO VEGGIE PANCAKE

🍪 Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! 🍪