Trying New Things! SHIRTAKI PAD THAI NOODLES



Hi!  It's been a while, and like most of you, I am in lockdown, trying to stay out of reach of COVID-19, which is everywhere.  Hope you are also doing your best to keep safe!  Please wear a mask and stay 6 feet or 2 meters away from other folks if you must go out!

This week, I decided to try shirataki noodles for the first time.  I was longing for something different, but also am trying to be frugal right now and use things I have in my cupboard.  I did, however, pick up a pack of Miracle Noodles Angel Hair Pasta, which I have never bought before.  For health reasons, there are a few standard food ingredients, like wheat and peanuts, that I have to avoid, so this seemed like a good idea.  I also sometimes eat buckwheat pasta, such as these soba noodles, but since I've been doing the Keto diet for a some time now, I was also want something low carb, and these fit the bill!


So I raided the refrigerator and cupboard and pulled out these things to make what I'm calling Faux Pad Thai.  (L-R: dried cilantro leaves, crushed red pepper flakes, Sam's Choice no sugar added almond butter, Bragg's apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, and lemon juice.)  They are not in this photo, but two other ingredients in almost all my cooking is Louisiana hot sauce and virgin coconut oil.  I also chopped up some green onion.


The first thing I did was follow the package directions on the Miracle Noodle, which was to rinse the noodles for one minute in cold water.  It instructed to cook the noodles in a dry pan until the water was cooked away.  I then added my ingredients, about a tablespoon each of almond butter, coconut aminos, melted coconut oil and apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon each of minced garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, and red pepper flakes.  I also dumped at least a tablespoon of Louisiana hot sauce in there.  If I were to do this over, I think I would combine these ingredients and make the sauce before adding to my noodles.


Although I didn't have it in my original ingredient list, as I stirred and cooked, I decided to add about half a cup of vegetable broth to make it a bit more soupy.  In another pan, I scrambled and fried up a combo of one egg and three tablespoons of liquid egg whites (I'm also watching my cholesterol).  I added the eggs to my noodle mixture and simmered for a few more minutes.  Finally, I spooned the mix into a bowl and topped it with a little bit of chopped green onions and sliced almonds!


I was pleased with the result!  The noodles had a nice chewy texture.  If you try these, don't expect a huge amount of flavour from the noodles themselves.  Due to this mildness, I think the shirataki noodles will work in a variety of dishes.  A few days later, I also decided to try the fettuccine style Miracle Noodles by adding them to some Thai style red curry.  In hindsight, I might reverse which noodles I used in which dish.  Overall, very happy.  I am usually unable to eat pasta, so this was a nice change.  It was about US$3 for the one serving size, which for me, is cheaper than take-away and I used ingredients I already had about.  Check it out!  Please comment down below.  Let me know if you try this.  What are your favourite shirataki noodle or lockdown recipes?  Happy eating!
 



476 Calories, 41g Fat, 12g Total Carbs (5 Net Carbs), 17g Protein, 7g Dietary Fiber, 3g Sugar






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snack Attack Pt. 2 - KETO VEGGIE PANCAKE

🍪 Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! 🍪

Calci-Yum! COCONUT FLOUR PIZZA