Snack Attack Pt. 2 - KETO VEGGIE PANCAKE





Back again with another snack attack solution for my Keto brothers and sisters.  This one is inspired by Korean style vegetable pancakes.  While we were visiting Halifax, Nova Scotia, my sister Tiffoodie took me to a Korean restaurant for the first time.  She ordered japchae, tteokbokki, and a kimchi pancake, and we really enjoyed ourselves.  Being a vegetarian for many years and a life-long lover of pancakes, I especially loved the kimchi pancake.  However, when my dietary needs changed, I discovered I couldn't just use my sister's kimchi right out of the jar.  Many brands have added sugar.  So...I came up with my own variation that hits the spot in a pinch when I'm craving a savoury pancake that's filling and satisfying.  Again, in this case, I am using on-hand ingredients that I regularly have in my cupboard and refrigerator. (Stay tuned...Tiffoodie and I are planning to make our own no-sugar-added kimchi.)

 Tiffoodie at Korean restaurant in Halifax.
Here's what I use:

I start by heating a large skillet over medium heat.  Then, I thoroughly combine a tablespoon of coconut flour and 1/2 teaspoon of psyllium fibre powder (this helps keep my pancake from crumbling and adds extra fibre!).  I add six tablespoons of liquid egg whites and a pinch of salt and whisk well.

My next step is to add in a tablespoon of pinjur, 1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic, and at least 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (probably more), followed by one green onion, 1/3 - 1/2 cup of whatever other veggies I have at hand (both finely chopped).  Mix well.  Today, it was broccoli :)


I cover the pan in extra virgin olive oil.  You could probably use avocado or sesame oil if you prefer, but EVOO is what I had.  Similar to my coconut flour pizza crust, I pour my mixture into the pan and spread it out with my rubber spatula.


You will know it's time to flip when your spatula slides easily under the pancake.  If your pancake is sticking to the pan, give it a bit longer.  For me, it's ususally 3-4 minutes on each side.  Then it's ready to eat!  I love to top my pancake with my favourite condiment, Louisiana Hot Sauce!



Here's my "Mr. Foodie" inspired pic:




247 Calories, 15g Fat, 14g Total Carbs (4g Net Carbs), 13g Protein, 10g Dietary Fiber, 2g Sugar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work Food - KETO OVERNIGHT NOATMEAL!

🍪 Happy Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! 🍪